Monday, July 2, 2012

Waking Storms by Sarah Porter

It's so extremely rare when a sequel is better than the first book. It happens, but not very often at all. I was excited to read Sarah Porter's first book, Lost Voices, but when it came down to it, I just wasn't as impressed as I had hoped to be. I was nervous about this second book, thinking that it was definitely going to disappoint.

It did not.

Waking Storms felt much more emotional than the first book. It broke my heart to watch Dorian suffer and mourn his losses, and yet made me smile while Luce and Dorian took their time to get to know each other. The kissing scenes was intense and powerful, filled with need and feelings, made even more so by the conflicted emotions of both Dorian and Luce. I loved seeing them together and longed for their next meeting when they were apart.

The supporting characters were stronger this time around, too. Nausicaa, Dana, and even the FBI agent were all very fleshed out, and the extra effort showed. These three felt strong enough by themselves to carry books about them all on their own.

There was still a pretty heavy save-the-oceans agenda, but I didn't mind that much. Sarah Porter weaved her message of caring for our oceans and the wildlife within seamlessly into the plot. I was quite impressed with this second offering in her mermaid series, and I am looking forward to the third book. After the ending in this one, I am expecting big things to come!

Overall Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment