Monday, July 9, 2012

Finding Sky by Joss Stirling

Joss Stirling has exceeded my rather low expectations for this book. Perhaps it was the bland cover, but I wasn't sure at all what to expect. Not the creepy hidden memories and flashbacks. Certainly not the edge-of-your-seat action that filled the last third of the story. It was a fast read, and turned out to be a good book, too.

The Benedicts have a totally cool lifestyle. Dangerous, yes, but pretty fancy nonetheless. Their alphabetical names cracked me up. The psychic powers/CIA mole aspect of the plot was not original, but Stirling made it her own I loved that Sky had such a spunky, geeky inner voice. Though I felt a little cheated that for the beginning of the book, Zed was a complete jerk, but then suddenly turns nice and Sky is okay with it. The Soulfinder bit has a nice ring too it, but needed to be fleshed out a little more. Plus, Sky seemed entirely too relaxed about being kidnapped, even with all of the drama of her childhood. She was a strong female character, yes, but I think it would have been more realistic if she panicked a little bit.

Sky's parents were cool, too. They had a strong presence in the story (so nice to see parents concerned about their kids in YA books!) but they also gave Sky a lot of freedom to do her own thing.

So as I mentioned, there was great action at the end. Enough so to make me want to pick up the second book in the series, Stealing Phoenix. This one is Yves' story and it sounds even more action-packed!

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment