Friday, July 2, 2010

Safe From the Sea by Peter Geye

When Noah travels to Misquah, Minnessota, to see his aging father Olaf, he is not sure what to expect. He certainly didn't expect to see the sick and frail man Olaf has become. But it has been many years since Noah and Olaf have seen each other, and even more years filled with tension between the two. Olaf is one of the few survivors of a horrific shipwreck on Lake Superior, and the ghosts still haunt his every footstep. Knowing the end is near, Olaf wants to finally share with Noah the events of that fateful night, a story Noah has been yearning to hear since it happened. Sharing this and other stories, the ties that bond these two men will become stronger than ever.

Safe From the Sea was very beautifully written. That can sound cliche, but when I find myself reading passages form the story aloud, I know the writing has truly captured me. It was a sad and touching book, but some scenes made me laugh out loud, while others were so moving that I had to take a moment away from the pages. The atmosphere is rich with history setting. I would have liked to see more of his wife Natalie, as some of the best parts of the book were when Noah was reflecting back on both the good and not-so-good moments of his marriage. Peter Geye has given me a short read that I enjoyed so much, his next book is sure to be on my list as well.

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment