Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fear Street Flashback (5)

Why? Because FEAR STREET was like, my favorite series growing up.

Originally released in August/September/October, 1994.

Ahh... the classic trilogy format. How I heart thee. This Fear Street Trilogy was GOOD. I enjoyed it, many times. The First Horror was scary! Moving into a creepy old house where tons of accidents occur would be terrible! I love the sisterhood between Kody and Cally, and (not-really-a-spoiler-alert) when Cally sees her own ghost I was utterly shocked. A total surprise ending! This poor family. I would be so scared of that house too, if I lived in Shadyside.

The Second Horror was a neat idea for a sequel, and scarier than the first, I thought. Poor Brandt is being haunted by Cally, but only the reader knows exactly what the evil in the house is. I was a little put off by the way Brandt was able to get away with having so many "girlfriends", but the big reveal at the end was worth it. That Brandt's father was a collector of all of that tribal stuff was a unique element for Fear Street books.

I remember that I was eager for The Third Horror to come out, because it was going to be about them filming a Hollywood movie in the haunted house. How cool! The Hollywood types in the story are all kind of funny and over the top. And Kody's love for her sister Cally is genuine. I also liked how in the whole trilogy, the three characters (the real estate man, the housekeeper, and the exterminator) continue to make appearances throughout the story ark. It's a much more rewarding experience reading these books one after another, without having to wait a month like I they were originally released.

Fear Rating: 3 out of 3 Screams

No comments:

Post a Comment