Monday, July 19, 2010

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

Bianca Piper has to hear from the biggest womanizer in school that she is the Duff - the designated ugly fat friend - in her group of friends. She tries not to take the name to heart. After all, it was Wesley Rush who called her that, and she hates his guts. Then in one moment of courage/weakness she kisses him and all the stress in her world melts away. Soon she is fully engaged in a secret relationship with him, and as long as Bianca keeps her heart at arms length, things are fine. Trouble is, her heart may other ideas...

I was totally enamored with this book! I would snap it shut and hold it to my chest and exclaim "Awwwwwwww" and sigh and then open it right back up and keep reading. It was predictable sure, but I wanted the story to end up for Bianca the way it did. I must say, I was surprised at the amount of sex and sexual acts there were in the book. I'm no fool when it comes to knowing what teens are up to these days, but I was still shocked at reading about them in a young adult novel. It was rather refreshing! Bianca's voice is raw and her pain is intense. All teen girls will find something to identify with in Bianca's life. I certainly hope this is not all we will get from Kody Keplinger. Can't wait to see what's next!

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment