Friday, January 6, 2012

The Mad Mask by Barry Lyga

Any middle grade boy readers out there? This series is for you!

Though it is not suggested that you read these out of order. The Mad Mask is the second book in the series, and there are tons of references to characters and happenings from the first book. I liked the first book, Archvillain, but unfortunately, this one didn't pack the same punch for me. It had a cute start, and I enjoyed getting back into the head of scheming and dreaming Kyle. But just after the halfway point, I quickly grew bored with the lackluster action and oblivious side characters. There were scenes I found myself craving - like witty banter between Mighty Mike and Kyle - that just never came. And while I could believe in the over-excited plans of Kyle, the Mad mask was much more difficult to swallow. Still, Barry Lyga's writing had me laughing and repeating lines out loud. I hope Kyle's friend Mairi makes a larger appearance in the next book!

Overall Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment