Friday, August 12, 2011

Fear Street Flashback (20)

Why? Because FEAR STREET was like, my favorite series growing up.

Originally released in August, September, and October, 1996.

The First Scream: I remember my initial excitement and anticipation for this trilogy when it originally came out. Finally, my favorite author was going to tap into one of my favorite topics - amusement parks! And what can be creepier than rides and clowns? Stine did an amazing job inserting a theme park into the Fear Street world. I was surprised that a good two thirds of the story revolved around characters completely unrelated to the characters named on the back synopsis, but when it came together at the end, I was totally hooked! I almost wish there was some purple smoke represented on the covers...

The Loudest Scream: This was an excellent middle book for this trilogy. It spent time building tragedies in the wake of the end of the first book. We get to see more of Robin Fear motives and evil plan, as he wreaks terror on the poor, unsuspecting employees of Fear Park. And we also meet Jared, though why we didn't see him at all in the first book is a little too convenient. Like creating a character that wasn't really there before. But all of that aside and this is a great second book! I love the carnival rides and how Mr. Stine cooks up ways to make them scary!

The Last Scream: The least strongest section of the trilogy, this last book wraps things up for Fear Park. It does have a great twist ending, one that I don't think any reader will see coming. But it also leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Such as the fate of the Park and Dierdre's father. And this book didn't have as many horrible amusement park related deaths. Otherwise, it did have some great character development, and as I mentioned before, was a perfect ending to this saga!

Fear Rating: 3 out of 3 Screams

No comments:

Post a Comment