Monday, August 22, 2011

Bridge to Neverland by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson

Sarah and Aiden Cooper are playing around the house when Aiden accidentally opens a hidden compartment in an antique desk. Inside is an old, mysterious message, and the two quickly decide to follow it and see where it leads. They track leads from Pennsylvania, all the way to London (due to a convenient family trip), then back again through multiple states. But with every mystery they solve, a dark force is gaining strength and chasing their trail behind them.

I read the previous four Starcatchers books, and they were just okay. The series had an awesome premise that I was totally drawn to, especially since it related to Peter Pan. But I felt a lot of the books were drawn out too long. There was plenty of action, sure, just not enough interesting story to keep me glued to my seat. With The Bridge to Never Land, I was hooked from the first chapter. The series became self referential and mentioned the previous books by name! How cool is that?? I enjoyed this story much more, perhaps because it took place in modern times, with easily recognized technology and places (Disney World!). Ombra was also better in this book than in previous ones, with his control over Raven's being honestly spooky! I am not sure I agreed with the authors that Sarah was seventeen - she acted much younger. And then the reader is asked to pretty strongly suspend their disbelief towards the end. But these little missteps are largely over shadowed by the fun and action of the rest of the story. Definitely the best book in the Starcatchers series - and would be a great tie-in to the Kingdom Keepers!

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment