Friday, June 1, 2012

The Other Life by Susanne Winnacker

Wow, what a hard-hitting, edge-of-the-seat gripping novel.

The action jumps right in with Sherry and her confined, claustrophobic family. Bunker life has taken it's toll on everyone, and Sherry and her father venture out into the world to find more food. What they find, however, is devastation, destruction, and Weepers. Weepers are such a great name for zombie-like beasts! Once I got the description of nasty, gory ooze draining from their eyes, Weepers became a perfect name.

Joshua is a fabulous supporting character.  He is so kind to Sherry and her family. Yet also vicious and very angry at the world around him. A very true representation of how someone would act and feel in a situation such as this. I liked all of the residents of SafeHaven, really. There are the usual story conventions - the guy who has insider secrets about the virus, the caring mother figure, the young boy ready to be a soldier. I fell in love with them all felt invested in their survival. My only note of discontent is that the novel takes place in the once thriving metropolis of Los Angeles,  but doesn't show a single landmark or anything else to distinguish it. I think a post apocalyptic story like this would be better served in a nameless town, or less world-renowned city.

Susanne Winnacker's writing is easy to read and very cinematic. I could see the scenes vividly in my mind. If you are a fan of The Walking Dead, you will eat this book right up! I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel, The Life Beyond.

Overall Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment