Friday, November 4, 2011

The Sharp Time by Mary O'Connell

I was not sure what to expect with this book. The premise sounded promising and the cover is a pretty rainbow of colors... but there was nothing that really stuck out for me and screamed "you have to read this book!" And I will be honest, it took a little work to get into this story. Mary O'Connell writes with flowery descriptions and a short attention span. Sandinista is brilliant as a narrator, but the reader has to work hard to keep up with her thoughts. There is no exposition and explanation to help the reader figure out what is going on with her thoughts. What really kept me moving through this book was the plot. When I figured out what happened to Sandinista in school, and what she was planning to do about it, I knew I had to keep reading and watch how it was all going to play out. Plus, as I went through the days with Sandinista, I felt a certain amount of satisfaction for sticking with the book and the writing. The story would not have been half as good if it had been written any other way.

So if you are a reader that does not have the energy to figure out every little nuance on your own, you might want to pass on this one. Stick with it, and you will find yourself thinking about it long after you finish!

Overall Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment