Monday, January 23, 2012

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

I've now read 6 books from Maria V. Snyder, and I have just loved every single one. My book love started with Poison Study, and continued all through the trilogy. Then she came out with a second trilogy, starting with Storm Glass, but I (embarrassingly!) haven't gotten around to reading it. And then came the two books, Inside Out and Outside In, which I fell into completely. Those books were SO good. So I was looking forward to Touch of Power, even though the cover art is too cheesy for my tastes. It did not disappoint.

Is it possible to get your heart rate up from reading? The first chapter had me biting my nails and sweating from the action and tension. Maria V. Snyder can write action sequences like no other. And fantasy really is her strong suit. Another trait of Snyder's writing that I can look forward to is the strong females. I loved the character of Avry, with her healing touch and wise intellect. She was an incredible woman that never backed down from a fight or doing what was right. And then there was Kerrick, who had plenty of flaws, but also a tender side to him that made him a most interesting character to play opposite Avry. Even the minor characters were completely fleshed out - like Belen and Tohon. Each one of them had specific reasons for doing what they were doing.

I already mentioned how I think the cover art is super cheesy, but it does a good job in representing the story. Can't give away too much, but I sure hope I never run into a Death Lily!

So thank you, Maria V. Snyder! This book was fun, exciting, scary, and soft-hearted, all at once. I can't wait for the next installment in the Fifteen Realms!

Overall Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment