Friday, July 22, 2011

Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Violet Willoughby isn't thrilled to tag along with her mother's schemes as a Spiritualist Medium for society's upper crust, but it is the only life she knows. When her mother gets called upon to do seance's at Lord Jasper's estate, Violet is both thrilled and hesitant to go along. Luckily, her good friend Elizabeth is there to keep her entertained, along with her childhood friend Colin. But then Violet sees a ghost - one who wants her help - and things take an adventurous and dangerous turn.

I was surprised by this book. I wasn't sure I would like it, as mysteries aren't normally my cup of tea. But once I got to the second chapter, I knew I was in it to the end. This is a delightful tale of debutantes of high-society London, romance, and ghosts. Alyxandra Harvey has created a likeable character in Violet, one I enjoyed hanging around. Her friend Elizabeth was, of course, funny and totally enviable. And WOW, was Colin ever dreamy! The things he said and did to Violet made me swoon! Harvey also did a wonderful job creating atmosphere. When they were at a ball, the dresses and music and food were perfectly described to make me feel like I was there. The ghost scenes were super creepy and gave me chills. I did, however, think that the first half of the book was much more exciting than the second half. Once I got used to the ghosts and the investigating, it was a slow slog towards the end reveal. Even so, check this one out if you like mysteries!

Overall Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment