Friday, July 8, 2011

Bound by Book-To-Movie Law: The Time Traveler's Wife

Book-to-Movie Law states that once you have read the book, you are bound by the media to go see the movie based on said book, and therefor compare to two.

Even though this movie has been sitting on my shelf for quite a long while now, I had not watched it until recently. The Time Traveler's Wife was such a powerful, unique, incredible book, that I was terrified that the motion picture could never do it justice. I was thrilled that it was made into a movie in the first place, but it turns out my fears were correct, and it really was a terrible film. I think the main cause of this is due to the beautiful and complicated chronology in which the book is written. The reader is left to sort out time and plot as it is slowly revealed to them. The movie, on the other hand, tells the story in one solid time period, using flashbacks to portray past history. This felt very cheesy in most instances, and I am sorry to say that it is just not that effective in building suspense and amazement. To the movie's credit, the "traveling" effect was pretty neat (and sometimes creepy!). I liked how Eric Bana would slowly fade until he was gone. I will give this movie a few more viewings to see if it gets any better, but for now my opinion is set.

Bottom Line: The book was WAY better.

No comments:

Post a Comment