Friday, April 22, 2011

The Coffins of Little Hope by Timothy Schaffert

Essie Myles has been writing obituaries for her small town newspaper every since graduating from the eighth grade. Now at age 83, she has written hundreds of obituaries and has even made a little bit of a name for herself among other obit writers. This also means she knows who everyone in town is and where they came from. Including Daisy, a lonely woman who made local history when she reported her daughter Lenore kidnapped. It has been years since the investigation ended, but a few cult followers (and Daisy) still believe she is alive and waiting to be found. More skeptical residents aren't yet convinced she ever existed at all. When Essie is approached to finally write Lenore's obituary, she navigates through an old story where fact and fiction are often confused.

I felt like I enjoyed this book, but am not really sure why. I wasn't excited to get back to reading it, but whenever I picked it up I would like what I read. The ending did not provide any closure and left me with an end-of-the-book void. I was drawn to Essie's calm and factual tone of voice. And I loved the way she told the events of the story, as if she were sitting next to me, sipping tea on the couch. All of the characters had delightful little quirks, pleasantly humorous and fun to read. When all is said and done, I am not sure I would pick up another of Schaffert's books, but this one was a good read.

Overall Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment