Friday, August 6, 2010

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Bethany is visiting earth for the first time in her life. She is an angel, and alongside her old siblings Gabriel and Ivy, is staying for a bit in Venus Cove. Their only job is to help humans, but then Bethany unexpectedly falls in love with a mortal named Xavier and her priorities shift. The both of them are quickly caught up in each other's love, and nothing else matters. That is, until the arrival of another boy named Jake Thorn. It doesn't take long for Bethany to figure out Jake is more than he seems, but she will have to find a way to take care of him without revealing herself.

I am not entirely sure what I expected from this book. It was a huge BEA-buzzed book, and I was looking forward to reading it. Just check out that cover!! But it wasn't what I thought it would be. First, the forbidden love story between angel and mortal was just okay. Sure there was paranormal powers and the like, but I thought Bethany's naivete was rather annoying. She is supposed to be an other-worldly being, and yet she spends most of the book whining like an average, pathetic, teenage girl. I also thought the character names were cheesy. A few things I did like were the siblings Ivy and Gabriel. Give me a prequel about them! I also really liked Xavier. He was probably the deepest character with the most fleshed out background. And he was so sweet to Bethany! Jake Thorn was a bit abrasive, and I wasn't completely convinced he could really get away with being what Adornetto made him out to be. The story felt like it was taking it's sweet time, and then the final quarter of the book is super rushed. Despite all that, however, I did enjoy the book. Will have to check out sequels Hades (Fall 2011) and Heaven (Fall 2012).

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment