Monday, August 30, 2010

Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon

After Renee's parents die mysteriously in the woods of California, her grandfather sends her off to a private, elite boarding school in Maine. And though Gottfried Academy isn't anything what Renee expected, she quickly makes friends and things don't look so bad. Especially handsome hunk Dante, who pays her extra attention from the moment they lay eyes on each other. However, it is not long before Renee begins to notice that all is not as it seems at the prestigious school. The elite students are hiding a secret, and the closer Renee gets to finding it out, the scarier things from her past become.

Surprisingly, I liked this book. Ended up reading it all in one day. The settings and descriptions were vivid without being overwhelming. I completely got lost in the characters, both major and minor. Dante is a dreamy guy for sure, but I found myself much more drawn to Renee's nerdy friend Nathaniel. Gottfried was a very interesting school, I would love to have gone there myself and taken Horticulture class! For a debut novel, Yvonne Woon has done a spectacular job. I am not sure if I would read more in this series, but I would absolutely read more from this author. On a final note though, I do not like this cover at all. It didn't do much to capture my attention in the first place, but after reading the novel, does nothing to fill in the story and characters. Perhaps we will see some better art on the paperback!

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment