Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Diamond Duo by Marcia Gruver

Diamond Duo was quite the delightful surprise.

My ever excellent better half picked up this book and read the end Dear Reader before I had started reading myself. His exclamation "Oh man, are you going to like this book- it's right up your alley. Quite interesting," had me fascinated to see what was in store for me.

It did not disappoint. Marcia Gruver has a real knack for re-creating the historical time period of Texas, mixing fact with beautifully written fiction. The scenes of racism were powerful. It is easy to forget there were places in our nation where the people behaved and thought like that. And Diamond Bessie was a fun character, despite her personal troubles. The chemistry between her and the strongly independent Bertha is where the real romance in this story was. Thad was a mere side side character, but redeeming in the end anyway.

I am looking forward to more from this great author. I love her writing, her story lines, the real history behind her fiction. Can't wait to dive into Chasing Charity!

No comments:

Post a Comment