Friday, August 24, 2012

Words With Impact

Words are powerful. They have the ability to make a person laugh, cry, hurt, and feel incredible joy. Most often we use words to communicate in plain, everyday manners. But when we come across words that have greater impact - whether they are spoken to us or by us, or read somewhere - they can leave a major impression.

And then there are words that when we read or hear them, the insides of our ears tweak out. There aren't many such words out there that have this affect on me, but there are a few to note.

EERIE - Reading this words gives me the chills instantly. It comes with a strong flavor of the paranormal and spooky. Totally makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Hearing it spoken is often the same, because people seem to use this word to describe something they can't fully explain. I do like this word, but please use very sparingly, as to avoid creeping me out.

GRIN- Here is a word that seems harmless enough, no? And yet it always sounds malicious, even when it shouldn't. When someone "grin" instead of plain "smiles", they are definitely up to no good. When I read it in a book (Fifty Shades of Grey, for example, overuses this word) I expect hijink to ensue. If they don't, I get disappointed. Please folks, don't use grin if "smile" or "smirk" would work just as well.

ORBS - This word is simply obnoxious. To describe eyes, really?? See also: almond eyes, slits. Eyes should just be described as eyes. Their size and color can sometimes be helpful, but the term orbs is downright weird. Orbs feels like something from space, the future, or some sort of science. Orb eyes or an orb head are not romantic. Understood?

There are probably more, but these three in particular are words that I could do without in my vocabulary.

Do you have any you would like to eradicate from yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment