Friday, August 10, 2012

Wake by Amanda Hocking

I totally liked this book.  For a sea-creature/mermaid type thing, this story was wonderfully creepy. Shockingly so, with a brilliant version of the siren mythos and world. While I don't anticipate ever getting tired with mermaid stories, Wake had it's own twist to the paranormal and it was well worth it.

Gemma and Harper are two of the most independent, strong, and inspiring sisters I have read in a long time. They look out for each other, care for their Dad, are studious with their future plans, and even visit their insane Mother on a regular basis. These girls are great role models on how to be yourself and a member of your family at the same time.

But then there is Alex and Daniel. *swoon* I think I liked Daniel more, because the idea of a boyfriend living on a houseboat is pretty romantic. Daniel himself was super dreamy, too, always rushing to help Harper. I appreciated how the boys took their time to get involved with the girls. The delayed gratification only made me, as the reader, want to see the couples get together even more.

Amanda Hocking definitely writes a great story with this first book in the Watersong series. The only odd bit was that she uses the first name for Gemma and Harper's father, Brian. It is a little confusing, because Gemma and Harper call him Dad or father, so why the Brian? It pulled me away from the characters and I felt constantly interrupted. Other than the small detail, I found myself sailing through this book, picking it up every chance I could to read another chapter. The second book is called Lullaby, and promises to be equally goo, if not better than Wake!

Overall Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment