Monday, February 13, 2012

Pure by Julianna Baggott

I am not sure I can fully explain why Pure is such an exciting and awesome book. I feel both at a loss for words and at the same time I feel like I am brimming with the desire to talk about this story.

The post-apocalyptic world Baggott has created is horrific and gruesome, and yet oddly poetic. People being fused to the things they were holding or touching at the time of the Detonations is as ugly to imagine as it is tantalizing in the way it brings additional aspects to being something more than human. It felt as though I were traveling through a world filled with car crashes - appalling sights that I couldn't turn away from and drove far too quickly past. She mentions in the back that she did a lot of research from WWII Japan, and after finishing the novel, I am encouraged to read into some of the survivor stories myself.

Pressia and Partridge are astounding characters to follow through this world. Survivor doesn't seem to cover all of what Pressia is. I do want to say that I felt disappointed in a few of her actions, but she works sincerely to correct the wrongs she did (and was forced to do) and as a reward becomes much wiser and stronger. With alternating chapters, the reader gets to see both life inside and outside of the Dome, but it is outside the Dome that is far more interesting. I liked how both Partridge and Pressia were naive to each other's world, while at the same time so familiar with their own. Bradwell and El Capitan were also some of my favorite characters, surprising me at every turn with their actions and reactions. If I found myself outside the Dome, I would definitely want to be on El Capitan's team.

This is the second book I have read by Baggott, having loved Girl Talk when I devoured it one night in college, and I am proud to say that she has genuinely outdone herself with this one. The next book in the installment is called (slated for 2013) and I know the characters from Pure will still be strong with me when I can finally pick up their continued story.

Overall Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment