Friday, February 10, 2012

Inspired to Art (3)

Two girls I know and love, Allison and Judi, recently got new Nooks for Christmas. One of the first books they chose to read was Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld. As soon as they were finished, I just knew we had to get together for book club. That book was amazing! One I recommend to everyone who hasn't read it and one I won't soon forget. But instead of just the three of us talking about the book, what better way to go through a novel than by making an art project?

The first step for my project was to cut apart some of my childhood Barbies. Barbie faces exemplify the perfect "pretty" that exists in the Uglies world. See Tally and Shay. I knew I wouldn't be able to make an Uglies project without doing something to represent the hoverboards over the broken down roller coasters. Which I put on the back of the box.
Add a few hands to represent Tally and Shay's friendship, and I was finished. Judi made a representation of the wall-com systems, starting with Tally's profile. And Allison picked out her favorite passage from the book, with directions into the Smoke, and created the map. I love the person in the black hole with rocks, and the calendar!
A fun way to do book club! Perhaps we will meet again when they read the other three books in the series. There are so many art projects we could do with these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment