Friday, February 11, 2011

I Heart These Publishers

In getting so close to Valentine's Day, I have been thinking about those few publishers out there who routinely put out books that I love. Some publishers never let you down- it's as simple as that. Or perhaps not as simple, as releasing books that I will only love sounds like it would be a very tricky feat to accomplish. And yet, the following publishers have pulled it off.

FLUX. Are these guys good or what? My first Flux book experience goes back to Lament by Maggie Stiefvater in October of 2008. Following by The Sky Always Hears Me by Kirstin Cronn-Mills in September of 2009. Then Everything You Want by Barbara Shoup in November 2009. There were other books before these, but these were the first I picked up and read, and by the time I realized I was looking forward to Lament's sequel Ballad, I knew I had found a new publisher to like. Flux's titles are unique, and fill me with joy while reading them. Plus, the quality of the printing and binding of their books is top notch, with bleached white paper and a sturdy paperback cover. Everything about holding a Flux book in my hand feels substantial, and I look forward every month to opening a new title.

TYNDALE. My fondness for this publisher came with the beginning of Susan May Warren's contemporary book Reclaiming Nick. Those who know me understand there will always be a spot for the troubled cowboy on my bookshelf, and the entire Noble Legacy Trilogy so excellently filled that space in my heart. From there I read My Sister Dilly by Maureen Lang and totally loved it. I have her new Great War series and am looking forward to digging my nose into it. Most recently I read Ransomed Dreams by Sally John. Not my usual fare, but I was completely engrossed nonetheless. The story was breathtakingly beautiful. I also think it is worth mentioning that Tyndale has an incredible cover art department. Just stunning covers, guys. Love 'em.

FIRST SECOND. Do you know First Second? It's probably worth mentioning that this is an imprint of Macmillan and a fairly new one at that. Maybe you know the title American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang? The award-winning graphic novel that told what it was like for one boy to feel like an outsider in his own family. Robot Dreams was an adorable graphic masterpiece as well. I will definitely pick up Level Up, also by Yang, and check it out! First Second's books all have that little something for readers of all sorts to identify with. Graphic novels can be tricky business, but I have found this publisher to consistently release well-written, well thought out stories. If you haven't yet, give them a try.

Of course, the few listed are not nearly the tip of the iceberg of the books I have read from these publishers, but it would take all day to mention all of them. Trust me that I have read a LOT of titles from each of the above. I would love to hear your thoughts on which specific publishers out there you like. Please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment