Monday, August 20, 2012

The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

WOW. Hold on to your hat when reading this book, it moves FAST.

There's great adventure in this edge-of-your-seat book. I seriously could not put it down and read feverishly through the chapters. The plot is very simple - Robie's plane goes down and her only means of survival is a yellow raft, the co-pilot Max, and a bag of skittles. Yet the book is incredibly intense, shocking, surprising, and most of all, inspiring. The whole time Robie is on the raft is so astounding, in the knowledge she has of sea life, to the paltry means of survival she can incorporate into the long days and nights. She experienced good things and bad things, but justified her actions to herself so that as the reader, I was right there with her for every step.

And the ending - The Ending! Won't say too much, other than it felt like a punch that knocked the wind out of me. Was so good. 

It took a bit to realize it, but I have actually read and loved a previous book by S.A. Bodeen, The Gardener.  She has a real talent for getting my so instantly hooked into her books that I devour them in one sitting and rave about them to my co-workers. I really want to read her first book, The Compound, as soon as possible. Highly recommended, especially to the outdoor adventure lover!

Overall Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment