Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

(Warning: spoilers if you haven't read book 1) It stills feels like yesterday when Meghan Chase went to the Nevernever in search of her missing brother and wound up meeting Ash, the youngest Winter Prince. When book two of the Iron Fey opens, Meghan is still the possession of Mab, the Winter Queen. However, when the Scepter of the Seasons is stolen, Meghan ends up breaking out and going after it. The mission, of course, is anything but easy, and everyone she knows and loves will be tested to their limits in order to bring the chaos to an end.

After reading the second book in this series, I am conflicted. It is certainly not my favorite paranormal YA series out there today, but it continues to suck me into the plot and makes me want the next book. What I do like is Julie Kagawa's voice and writing style, perhaps that is the key to keeping my attention. Quite frankly, I have to wonder what Meghan and Ash see in each other. They switch so quickly between pushing away and professing their undying love... pick one already! I was also struck by just how mean those Winter Court fey were. So cruel, especially towards half-breeds! I liked the way Leanansidhe spoke. Her dialog was fun to read, and I could hear her refined voice in my head as I read along. The Briars were perhaps my favorite part of the book, with hold-my-breath-until-the-next-page, totally scary and tense scenes. And as I mentioned, I am absolutely going to get the third book to see what finally comes of all of this Iron Fey madness!

Don't forget to check out the free eBook Winter's Passage (An Iron Fey novella)

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment