Monday, May 28, 2012

Torn by Cat Clarke

I have devoured another book by Cat Clarke. What? You've never heard of her? Check out my review of her first book, Entangled. Then go and get your own copies to read!

Torn is a serious and engaging novel. I read it in one sitting. It tackles the issue of school-bullying that goes too far, a topic that is all over the news these days. I really liked how Tara was portrayed as being such the total bitch, but then Alice also saw some of the more human and kind side to her as well. It made me wonder if Tara really didn't deserve what she got. But I guess that was the point, because Cass was a horrifying girl. And Polly too, with her quiet rage. All of these girls were very real though, very true to life. The way they spoke, and felt - with Alice struggling between the horror over Tara and her budding love with Jake - so very well written. They could have been in any high school, in any city. My heat ached for Alice, turned to ice around Cass and Tara, and wanted a hug from Alice's Dad that told me everything was going to be okay. The signs of a great writer is when I feel so many emotions while reading a book.

I found the story to be much like Sisters of Mercy, by Megan Kelley Hall. Fans of hers will definitely like this book. And stay tuned for my review of her next book, whenever it gets published. Please hurry, Cat Clarke, I want more!

Overall Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment