Friday, March 18, 2011

Fear Street Flashback (15)

















Why? Because FEAR STREET was like, my favorite series growing up.

Originally released in August, September, and October 1993.

THE BETRAYAL. A great place to start the series, in my opinion. I remember the first time I read these, how thrilled I was to finally be learning the secret to why Fear Street was filled with such evil. This first book was good. I was instantly drawn in with the old timey atmosphere and the constant threat of the witch hunt. I kept looking back at the cover to study her mysterious claw pendant. The latin phrase inscripted on it is an awesome addition to the evil. Stine found a nice way to twist actual history into his Fear Street series.

THE SECRET. An intriguing middle. Honestly not much in the way of adding to the overall story, but this book was scarier than the first. I would not recommend reading these out of order, as there was literally no exposition in this second book to retell what happened in the first. Which followers of this blog know is okay with me. There are nice twists and hidden names and more of the good old family feud. And then a huge reveal at the end! YAY! Onto the final chapter and the infamous Simon Fear! Was hoping the choker from the girl on the cover would play a part, though. Especially since the claw pendant is such an integral part of the whole story.

THE BURNING. And a fantastic finish. The best part of the trilogy by far. Simon and Angelica make a fantastic couple. By the time readers get to this third book, the completely hopelessness of the family feud between the Fiers and the Goodes really starts to cement itself in the reality of Fear Street. There really is no escaping it! Again, I liked the role the amulet from the first book played throughout the trilogy. It was a great way to tie everything together and give readers a visual for the evil. Read this trilogy and learn where it all started! I guarantee it will make future books in the Fear Street series all that much better!

Fear Rating: 2 out of 3 Screams

No comments:

Post a Comment