Monday, December 6, 2010

Fear Street Flashback (11)


Why? Because FEAR STREET was like, my favorite series growing up.

Originally released in November 1991, December 1993 and December 1996.

What better time than now to cover some holiday horror? Christmas-themed books are usually not my thing, but I have enjoyed this particular trilogy on more than one occasion. The first Silent Night introduces us to the truly reprehensible Reva Dalby, spoiled rich brat and heir to Dalby's department stores. Still, such crazy bad things happen that I can't help but feel a little sorry for her! A needle in your lipstick is such a cringe-worthy visual. I liked that this book tapped into the weird phobia of mannequins. And it kept me guessing until the end!

The second book in the series always runs the risk of being the same old thing as the first book. But that is definitely NOT the case with this cast of characters! I loved that Reva was up to her usual bratty self. It made it harder to feel sorry for her again, but it was still funny to read about her terrible jokes on those around her. And I liked that she was back at the perfume counter, picking on people and talking back to her supervisor. The consistency made for a fast and delicious read!

The third Silent Night is probably the weakest in the trilogy, because it strays from the formula a little bit. It was great to see Reva take over her cousin Pam's scarf idea. She's so mean! It was good to see more of Reva's poor, neglected brother in the story too, even if he was super creepy. Which actually leads me to a question about what actually happened to Reva's mother. It may have redeemed her more if we saw more of Reva missing her mom. All of the alternating points of view between Reva and Pam kept things interesting. Sometimes I found myself wanting Pam to get a whole lot angrier! In her own spin-off book!

All-in-all, a fun trilogy to get you into the holiday spirit!

Fear Rating: 2 out of 3 Screams

No comments:

Post a Comment