Monday, June 11, 2012

Bound By Book-To-Movie Law: The Help

Book-to-Movie Law states that once you have read the book, you are bound by the media to go see the movie based on said book, and therefor compare to two.

What I like about the book was that it was told from the maids POV, giving the story that little something extra. The dialect also made me slow down while reading, which I think made for a more purposeful story. One that made me think hard about society, and feel every emotion from Minny and Aibileen. The movie has narration, but misses out on this additional bit of deeper personality. Skeeter was a fantastic character to translate to the big screen, but not as much fun as the bitchy white women. They are not nice people, which I'm sure was a trickier role to portray. What the book was lacking though, was the vivid, extravagant clothing of the times. Something only a movie can get exactly right. The cars, the clothes, the home accessories... they were so awesome to see. I'm afraid to say that I would love to wear those dresses today!

Bottom Line: Tough call, but I am going to say the book was better. Harder to get through, but more enriching in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment