Friday, April 13, 2012

Daughters of the Sea: Totally Underrated!

Let me get this off my chest right away: I LOVE Kathryn Lasky's Daughters of the Sea series.



These are sea-folk stories, people! And very good ones, at that.

Hannah's story was such a great place to start. She leaves salt on whatever she touches, thanks to getting land-sickness. The only cure is go be in the ocean! The story takes place in Boston at the turn of the twentieth century, and the atmosphere was pitch-perfect. There wasn't too much mermaid-y type stuff in this story, or even all that much romance, but what was there was tender and completely engaging.

May's story was beautiful as well. This one was much more of a love story, and an innocently sweet one at that. Set in the same time period as the first, only this time in Maine, the characters acted exactly how I would have expected them to for 1899. And again, the mermaid element was well thought-out and just right.

I haven't read Lucy's story yet (bad, I know!) but it is sitting on my shelf waiting for me and I can't wait.

So if you're a fan of mermaid stories, YA romances, and historical fiction, do not leave these titles off your list. They are the kinds of stories that are quiet and unassuming, yet leave you feeling satisfied and happy. They read like stand-alone novels, but are connected in small ways that make reading them all together very rewarding. Give us more please, Kathryn Lasky!

No comments:

Post a Comment