Friday, September 17, 2010

Fear Street Flashback (8)

Why? Because FEAR STREET was like, my favorite series growing up.

Originally released in July, 1997.

I admit I was not expecting a lot from this two-part story. It was the first time Fear Hall was mentioned in the Shadyside universe and I was unwilling to believe it had even existed up until now. But the books surprised me and I enjoyed them! I was most impressed by the difference in voices between friends Hope, Jasmine, Angel, and Eden (and later Darryl). Writing in such unique voices is not always easy for a single writer to do! I also happen to think mental illness is scary enough as it is, but when Hope discovers she is the one who is not-quite-right in the head, that is even more horrifying! The Conclusion picks up right where The Beginning left off, which I totally appreciated. The action never let up for one minute! Perhaps my only complaint is that this was not a trilogy - there could have been plenty more story to tell from the "three M's" point of view! So thank you, Mr. Stine. These books were great!

Fear Rating: 3 out of 3 Screams

No comments:

Post a Comment