Friday, March 19, 2010

The Clearing by Heather Davis

Amy arrives at her Aunt Mae's house alone and looking forward to leaving behind the memory of her abusive boyfriend. She finds it tough to try and fit in with country life and a new school, but then she discovers the mysterious mist at the edge of Aunt Mae's property. Crossing through it one day, she meets the handsome Henry Briggs and it is love at first sight. But there is more to the mist than can be seen, and it is up to Amy and Henry to figure out the difference between what's real and what's not meant to last.

THE CLEARING is a short and tender-hearted read. Alternating chapters between Amy and Henry give the reader a chance to get to know both characters intimately. I though it took them a little too long to figure out what's going on, making it feel like an entire book of near-misses and misunderstandings, but I still felt rewarded when all was revealed. Davis writes beautifully, evoking an era long past. She adds gorgeous and subtle details, letting the reader get absorbed in the story without noticing the smaller bits, such as the hot summer and crickets singing or the cool sting of rain as it comes down. What originally drew me to this book was the theme of time travel, and I think Davis pulls it off without a hitch.

Since I enjoyed this book, I think I will add her previous book, Never Cry Werewolf, to my list!

Overall Rating: 4 Stars

2 comments:

Test said...

Great review! I wasn't the biggest fan of her previous novel, but this one sounds really good.

ChelseaW said...

Thanks Lauren! I have not read her other book, yet, but The Clearing is worth it, for sure!

Post a Comment