Friday, April 17, 2009

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

This book literally made me lose my appetite. Could hardly eat anything until I had finished it. Good thing I had a hard time putting it down and finished it quickly!

Peeps is about parasitic vampirism, an intriguing concept. The central plot is invigorating. The reader is as clueless as Cal, and therefor just as shocked as Cal is when he learns more about what is going on. The slight horror elements provide a high level of spookiness, but nothing too terrifying that I couldn't read it at night by myself.

My favorite part of this book were the interstitials between chapters that talked about various parasites and their circle of life. Absolutely fascinating. And revolting. But oh so good. I found I could not control myself after reading some of them, and had to read them alound to my Better Half to share. To which he promptly put down his folk and muttered" this is why we don't read at the dinner table".

Scott Westerfeld is a genius. His writing is easy and gripping and entertaining and funny and interesting and.... I could go on and on. But rather than do that, perhaps I should just go pick up the second book. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment